The 2019 beach yoga season is coming to a close….stay tuned for our Snowga series, coming Winter 2020.
Remaining Beach Yoga Classes for 2019:
- Thursday, August 29- cancelled due to weather
- Sunday, September 1- 9:30-10:45 am
- Tuesday, September 3- 7 pm- sunset
- Thursday, September 5- Cancelled (I have a veterinary student mentorship dinner this evening)
- Sunday, September 8- 9:30-10:45 am (LAST CLASS on the beach)
SUMMER BEACH YOGA 2019- Nature Space Yoga is moving outdoors again this summer!
Come practice yoga on the Lighthouse Beach in front of one of PEI’s historic lighthouses (which received Heritage Designation in September 2016). We will start each class meeting in the parking lot by the lighthouse, grounding and setting our intentions, and then taking a “Mindful Walk” over the dunes down onto the beach where our class will be held. Each class ends with a meditation. Classes start Tuesday, July 9, 2019 and run Tuesdays and Thursdays in July and August.
Sunset yoga and meditation will be offered 2 nights a week on Tuesday and Thursday evening from 7-8:30 pm. On occasion, we may also hold special weekend events. Stay tuned!
Classes are a drop-in format using pre-purchased punch cards (all prices include tax)
- $45 for 5 class pack
- $12 single drop-in
To purchase punch cards/single class you can:
- Drop by a class (we accept VISA, MasterCard, or cash on site) – Please come 15 minutes early if you haven’t already purchased a punch card prior to class
- Pre-order your punch card here ***Recommended so you don’t have to come early***
This is a “Give Back” Yoga Program with 10% of all purchases donated to the St. Peters Harbour Lighthouse Society (SPLHS). The mission of the society is to maintain and to preserve the lighthouse as well as the history and heritage of the old St Peters Harbour area. The lighthouse underwent an incredible transformation in 2017 and is now an impressive landmark overlooking one of PEI’s most beautiful North Shore Beaches. Practicing yoga on this gorgeous white sand beach is certain to be a delightful treat for locals and visitors alike.
Located just outside of the village of Morell, the Lighthouse Beach is a hidden gem on PEI. Coming from Charlottetown, take a left onto the St. Peters Harbour Road (just before the Village of Morell). A few minutes down the road on the right hand side is Lighthouse Road (past Creek Rd and Cairns Rd). You can drive down the private road; however, parking is extremely limited. Visitors should consider the environmental impact of car traffic on this delicate ecological site on Prince Edward Island’s north shore. Why not walk along the beach, carpool down the road, walk down from the main road, or bike from your cottage or from the main road to get to the lighthouse?
Remember, there are no garbage disposal bins, washrooms or snack bars on site. Try to stick to the existing “path”, and please don’t walk on the ecologically-sensitive dunes!
FAQs about Beach Yoga
- Are classes for everyone or do you need to be an advanced yogi? Nature Space Classes are “all-levels” classes with modifications taught for beginners right through to more advanced students. No previous yoga experience is necessary. Click here for more information on Class Style or about Nature Space Yoga. If you’re new to yoga or have any health conditions, please take some time to fill out a physical activity questionnaire in advance of taking a class.
- What should I bring with me? You need a yoga mat, a water bottle, and some layers (in case it gets breezy/cool). You may also want to apply sunscreen or bug spray in advance of the class. Participants may enjoy a blanket and/or cushion to get comfortable in meditation. Meditation typically lasts for 10-15 minutes at the end of each class.
- What if it’s raining, windy, buggy, cold? Practicing in nature gives participants the opportunity to authentically experience their environment, even when it changes. It allows you to be mindful of the sun on your back, or the coolness cast by a cloud overhead. A gentle shower provides relief from the heat and brings out heavenly smells from the earth. Even bugs give us the opportunity to mindful and patient and to remember that, “This too shall pass.” For this reason, we ask that our yogis bring some extra layers, sunscreen, and perhaps some bug spray. That said, when the weather is truly inclement (pouring rain or brutal winds) classes will be cancelled. Participants are encouraged to follow the Nature Space Facebook Page as cancellations will be posted there.
- What if I arrive late? If you arrive after we have left the parking lot (which is where we will do our grounding exercise and intention setting before we walk over the dunes) we can be found on the beach in front of the lighthouse. If the winds are high, we may move down the beach to the old pier which may be more protected. Please just join in when you arrive, being mindful to not disturb others.
- Are there change rooms/washrooms there? Unfortunately, no. We are in a beautiful, natural beach setting. This is an ecologically sensitive area that has not been developed. Please change and use the washroom prior to coming to class.
- How do I buy a punch card? Use the link above to be taken to the registration form or click HERE. Payment is via e-transfer or credit card. E-transfers can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (please use naturespace as the security answer). Credit card payments can be made in person at the beach (via square) or done over the phone prior to class.
- How do I get my punch card? Punch cards with the participant’s name and assigned ID number are held by Nature Space and brought to each class. This prevents participants from forgetting or losing their cards. Punches are deducted for each class the participant attends. Participants will be notified when they only have one punch left and when their card is completed. If you would prefer to hold your own card please let us know; however, we are not responsible for lost or forgotten cards.
- What if I buy a pass and don’t use it all? There is an opportunity (weather permitting) for at least 16 classes to occur over the course of the summer season, thus 5 class packs should be able to be easily used up. Unused passes can be transferred to the fall session of classes, but would expire after that.
“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Snowga- RETURNING WINTER 2019…STAY TUNED!
An amazing outdoor winter yoga experience. This 1.5-2 hour program takes place on various trails near Morell. We will snowshoe along the trails stopping periodically to do some forest bathing (Shinrin-yoku), enjoy mindful moments, and practice yoga on snowshoes. We will end our snowshoe with some hot beverages. Snowshoes are available for rent ($5) if required.
- 2-4 pm on the following Saturdays:
- Saturday, January 19th (poor weather date is Sunday January 27th) @ Mooney’s Pond
- Saturday, February 23rd (poor weather date is Sunday February 24th) @ Greenwich
- Possibly one more in March – weather dependent
- Weather dependent-dates may change or sessions may be cancelled based on the forecast/snow levels
- Minimum of 3 people required to run a session
- Maximum of 10 people per session
- Participants need snowshoes (unless renting), comfortable outdoor clothing that you can move in (ideally a breathable base layer like Merino wool to prevent getting sweaty), hat, mittens/gloves, scarf/neckie, sunglasses (if sunny day), and water bottle
- $20 per session or $25 with snowshoe rental
- Registration can be completed HERE